Mid-Mountain Base Staging Area
Complementing the skiing, a series of developments in the Mid-Mountain Base and the Village are planned to improve the visitor experience in a balanced, well integrated fashion.
Over the course of the Stage One development, Porters will be transformed from a small undistinguished ski area into a unique and special destination mountain resort. The key elements of this creation were defined by the Resort Vision that called for Porters to become “the all-season mountain resort of choice, providing the most convenient family skiing experience in New Zealand, where the culture of mountain adventure and recreation are celebrated”.
In this transformation, Porters will grow from 188 hectares of lift serviced terrain to 525 hectares. It will change from a low key area with:
- 3 T-bars, 2 beginner tows;
- A small unassuming day lodge;
- Staged at the top of a visitor challenging gravel mountain access road.
- Two high speed quads, two fixed grip quads, a double chair, a T-bar and 3 beginner lifts;
- Staged from the base area Mountain Village via a state-of-the-art Gondola, eliminating the need for the access road;
- Mid-Mountain Base catering to the skiers and snowboarders needs during the ski day;
- Mountain-top Lodge;
- A pedestrian oriented village housing:
- a diverse range of facilities and services, restaurants, bars, retail, ski hire and repair, cafés, ski school, guest relations, day care, restrooms, lockers, ski patrol, first aid, tickets, administration,resort destination space);
- snowplay, tubing, beginner skiing and skating;
- overnight accommodation and lodges.
- Slopeside lodges for destination guests with direct pedestrian access to the village.